Vicinity 2022 – Call for Art
Artists who reside within 50 miles of St. Charles are invited to submit entries to be judged for acceptance into Vicinity 2022. Open to all 2D and 3D media. Entries must be original work in content, design and execution and new to the Norris Galleries. One entry allowed per artist. Please refer to the Vicinity Show Requirements below for more information.
Vicinity Show deadlines:
- Friday, September 9 (12 pm – 4 pm) Artist or their representative must drop off work in person during this time block. See Vicinity Show Requirements below for more information about work eligibility and preparation
- Saturday, September 10 Entries will be judged
- Sunday, September 11 Artist will be contacted via email or by phone about the accepted or declined status of their entry
- Monday, September 12 Artist or their representative will pick up declined work during time slot pre-arranged with the Norris staff
- Tuesday, September 13 Show is installed
- Saturday, September 17 – Saturday, October 29: Show dates. Gallery is open to the public Thursday – Sunday, 11 am – 4 pm while show is up
- Sunday, September 25 Public art reception (2 – 4 pm) Awards will be presented
- Sunday, October 30 Show work picked up by artist or their representative (by appointment only – details will be shared with accepted artists)
Important Vicinity Show Information and Requirements:
- Non-refundable entry fee ($30.00) is due on DROP OFF DAY (cash or check only).
- Artwork must be original in concept, design and execution – no reproductions, no giclees.
- 2D artwork must be ready for installation and all work must have artist identification attached to the work listing artist’s name, title of work, price of work, media and artist’s phone number. 2D work that is not correctly prepared for installation will NOT be accepted in the show. All 2D works must be framed with hangers attached to the back of the work and connected with flexible hanging wire. Saw Tooth hangers are not acceptable.
- ALL WORK MUST BE FOR SALE and remain on exhibit for the duration of the show.
- Vicinity 2022 will be available for viewing online during the show and following the conclusion of the show. The Norris collects a standard 30% commission on all work sold through the Galleries.
- 2D work cannot exceed 6 feet in width, 6 feet in height and 50 pounds in weight (including frame and glass).
- 3D work must be able to fit within the gallery’s glass display case (maximum height of work = 24”, maximum width = 24”, maximum depth = 15”, and max weight = 20 pounds) OR work must fit on gallery display pedestals OR work must be free standing. All entries must be able to fit through the Lobby door and be able to be easily handled by the gallery volunteers (maximum weight = 50 pounds). 3D work includes, but is not limited to, jewelry, sculpture, glass, fiber, ceramics, book art, mixed media, etc.
- The required Exhibition Agreement will be available on-site on the DROP OFF DATE. Each artist or their representative must complete an Agreement to have their work considered for the show.
- Artwork must be NEW to the Galleries, and accepted work must remain on exhibit for the duration of the show. Work must be appropriate for viewing by all audiences.
- Artists are responsible for insuring their artwork.
- The show judges will designate monetary show awards for “Best of Show” and “Awards of Excellence”, and will also determine Honorable Mention awards. Information about the judges and the awards will be posted on the Norris website in August.
- By submitting their work for judging, artist agrees that the Norris Cultural Arts Center may photograph and use the accepted work to publicize the show and the Center.
Norris Galleries – Summer 2022
As of July 1, 2022, masks are not required for individuals when inside the Norris Cultural Arts Center unless otherwise posted at the entrances. Visitors may choose to wear masks. If circumstances change before drop off day on September 9, notices will be posted. Contact the Norris at 630-584-7200 during gallery hours with questions.
The Norris Galleries are open Thursday – Sunday, 11 am – 4 pm for the Norris Cultural Arts Center’s Permanent Collection through Friday, September 2, 2022.
Norris Cultural Arts Center
1040 Dunham Road
St. Charles, Illinois 60174
Gallery hours when show is on display: Thursday – Sunday, 11 am – 4 pm
Parking in the lot directly across from the entrance to the Galleries is free, but is limited during school hours and when buses are present.
Check the Norris website for updates on current Covid protocol requirements.