Vicinity 2023 – Call for Entries
Vicinity 2023 is open to artists residing within Chicago or the Chicago Metro area (75 miles radius of St. Charles). The show dates are Saturday, September 16 through Sunday, October 29, 2023. Artists may enter ONE piece of original artwork for consideration. Entries must follow the preparation requirements listed below to be included for the show. A public reception for the show will be held Sunday, September 17 from 2 – 4 pm. Follow Norris social media for information about the show and show judges.
- Drop off day: Friday, September 8 (11 am – 4 pm)
- Notification: Sunday, September 10 (email or phone)
- Declined work pick up: Monday, September 11 (noon – 4 pm)
- Reception: Sunday, September 17 (2 – 4 pm)
- Show dates: Saturday, September 16 – Sunday, October 29
- Show hours: Thursday – Sunday (11 am – 4 pm)
- Pick up day: Monday, October 30 (noon – 4 pm / may require advance sign up)
Vicinity Show Requirements
- A NON-REFUNDABLE entry fee of $30.00 is due on Friday, September 8 when the entry is delivered to the gallery. Cash or Check only.
- Artwork must be ORIGINAL in concept, design and execution – no reproductions or giclees.
- Artwork must be NEW to the gallery (never included in a Norris show) and must remain in the gallery for the duration of the show.
- All work must be FOR SALE. NCAC will retain 30% of the sale price. Artists will be notified of sales and will receive a check within three weeks of the conclusion of the show.
- An exhibition agreement must be completed when the work is delivered. Agreement will be available at drop off in the gallery on September 8.
- Artists are responsible for insuring their own work. NCAC assumes no responsibility for damaged or stolen work prior to, during, or following installation of the show.
- Artists or their representatives must pick up the work at the conclusion of the Show on October 29.
- Artwork must be appropriate for viewing by all audiences and age levels.
- Artwork that does not meet artwork requirements will not be accepted or installed in the show.
Artwork Preparation and Display Requirements
- Artwork may be in ANY MEDIA that complies with the originality and appropriateness requirements.
- All work must have an artist I.D. label attached to the back of 2D work or bottom of 3D work that includes: Artist name, title of the entry, sale price and artist phone number.
- Norris Gallery uses the Walker hanging system for 2D work. Saw tooth hangers cannot be used with this system. 2D work must be framed with hangers attached to the back of the work and connected with flexible hanging wire. 2D work cannot exceed 6’ wide x 6’ tall (or equivalent dimensions) or weigh more than 40 pounds (including weight of framing and glass or plexiglass).
- For 3D work, there are 3 options to display work:
- Smaller 3D work must fit within the locked glass display case and not exceed a maximum height of 24”, width of 24”, depth of 12”, and weight of 20 pounds.
- Medium size 3D work (larger than the case limits) may be displayed on pedestals in the gallery. A limited number of pedestals are available, or artist may provide their own pedestal (surface of the gallery pedestals is approximately 12” x 12”).
- Larger 3D work must be freestanding and be able to be displayed on the gallery floor. All larger work must fit through the Center’s door and be easily moved by gallery volunteers.
- For work requiring special display accommodations (such as jewelry stands or diptychs), artists must provide appropriate materials and/or instructions.
- The show will be judged by two professional artists. Information about the judges will be posted on the website in July. Monetary and honorable mention awards will be presented during the reception.
- Artists agree to allow NCAC to photograph and otherwise promote the show through printed, online and social media use of the show’s artwork imagery and artist information.